Follow our family's journey as we seek to nourish our souls with music and literature, good company, great cooking, time spent in nature, and always, the love of Christ especially through the sacraments of His Church.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Michaelmas

The feast of the Archangels Michael, Gabriel and Raphael (all named in the Bible) was celebrated September 29th. I found this easy craft idea for the kids, perfect for a last-minute mom like me to set up! The kids had fun putting their angels together, although for Brendan, who colors meticulously, it was a lesson in diligence - coincidentally, our "virtue of the month" for September.


Anything they can cut out and turn into "action figures" is motivating for these guys! I get their hands busy and then read them stories as they work. I read about each Archangel from our Picture Book of Saints. St. Michael is our favorite - swords and battles, what can I say?? I also read a kid's story about how we can battle the devil in the present, and taught them the St. Michael prayer.

Here is where I found the printable template for the angels. Make sure to click on the image, not on the words. Also be sure to go to page setup and change your printer to landscape setting, so it fits. These could be used as Christmas ornaments too, don't you think? If  you have crafty-er kids than I do, there are all sorts of ways they could decorate these.

 
Next year, if I plan ahead, we can have angel hair pasta or angel food cake. Or, I could steal an idea from someone I read of (sorry, I can't remember where) who made devil's food cake and gave the kids cocktail swords to stab it with. Now that would go over well around here! Holy Archangels Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment